Sunday, April 28, 2013

RIP Stan George

Yesterday I received a phone call informing me my good friend Stan George had passed away.  Stan had been the Superintendent at Prairie Dunes Country Club for over 20 years. As with everyone else who was hearing this news on Saturday, I was shocked and saddened to hear this awful news.

Stan was a mentor to many superintendents and individuals in the golf industry.  I never had the pleasure of working with Stan, although after years of leaning on him for advise, he clearly was a mentor to me.  Even after all these years in the business, Stan was constantly looking for new ways to do a job better or more efficient.  Rarely would you talk to Stan without hearing about something new he was trying out.   

I will most miss our annual grudge match, The Director's Cup, between Wichita Country Club and Prairie Dunes.  For the last 13 years the home and home matches have been one of the highlights of my year, as I got to spend half a day with Stan.  Stan was easy going on the course with his self deprecating sense of humor, although I knew the competitor in him wanted to close me out early!

Stan was a true professional; humble, hard working, and dedicated to the course he managed.  He will be missed by many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment